The Chart Scoop | Brand New Takes ‘Science Fiction’ to No. 1
On the Billboard 200, Brand New scores its first no. 1 album with ‘Science Fiction.’ On the Billboard Hot 100, “Despacito” remains no. 1 for a 16th straight week.
In a relatively quiet week on the Billboard 200, Brand New earns the big story. For the first time in their career, the band earns the no. 1 spot on the Billboard 200. The numbers aren’t big for Science Fiction, but 58,000 units (~95% album sales) was enough to get the job done. The top 10 also saw new albums chart from Kodak Black, Neck Deep, and Dave East. A$AP Ferg was missing in action from the top 10, settling for a top-15 bow. Here is the scoop from the Billboard 200 Chart dated September 9, 2017.
- Brand New debuts at no. 1 on the Billboard 200 with Science Fiction, their first album in eight years.
- Kodak Black settles for the runner-up spot with his second project, Project Baby Two.
- Welsh band Neck Deep surprise, launching at no. 4 with The Peace and the Panic.
- Kesha sees her Rainbow dissipate a bit as it slips from no. 1 to no. 5 in its second week.
- Dave East bows at no. 9 with his proper debut album, Paranoia: A True East Story.
- A$AP Ferg misses the top 10 this go-round as Still Striving settles for a no. 12 start.
- Grizzly Bear debuts at no. 27 with Painted Ruins, its first album in five years.
- Moneybagg Yo was a short-timer in the top 10. Federal 3X drops 30 spots from no. 5 to no. 35.
- Rap newcomer Phora debuts modestly at no. 44 with Yours Truly Forever.
- Steven Wilson launches at no. 58 with To the Bone.
- It’s been a mighty bumpy ride for Arcade Fire. This week, there’s some sunshine for Everything Now, which climbs 36 spots from no. 113 to no. 77. The buzzkill? It’s only been out for four weeks…
- Brett Eldredge is doing horribly on the Billboard 200 with album number three. Brett Eldredge slips from no. 39 to no. 94 in its third charting week.
- They Art is Murder debuts at no. 95 with Dear Desolation.
Billboard Hot 100
“Despacito” earns a rare 16th week at no. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. According to Gary Trust (Billboard), the Latin-pop single has now tied Mariah Cary and Boyz-II-Men classic, “One Sweet Day” for most weeks at no. 1. Ordinarily, the song might have a chance to make more history, but likely Taylor Swift will have something to say about that. Here is the scoop from the Billboard Hot 100 dated September 9, 2017.
- “Despacito” spends the rare 16th week at no. 1, tying the record set by “One Sweet Day.”
- Cardi B was unable to move the needle. The breakout female rapper remains at no. 3, though she’s still making moves with “Bodak Yellow.”
- Yo Gotti lands in the top 10 with “Rake It Up,” featuring Nicki Minaj. The single ascends from no. 24 to no. 10.
- Liam Payne reaches a new peak position with “Strip That Down,” which ascends from no. 13 to no. 11. It was only a matter of time.
- Demi Lovato ascends seven spots with her rousing “Sorry Not Sorry” (no. 25 to no. 18).
- Justin Bieber & BloodPop debut at no. 20 with “Friends.”
- Logic breaks into the top 30 with “1-800-273-8255,” featuring Alessia Cara & Khalid. The single ascends from no. 37 to no. 29.
- Gucci Mane debuts at no. 34 with “I Get the Bag,” featuring Migos.
- Blackbear continues to rise with “Do Re Mi,” which ascends from no. 63 to no. 54.
- Miley Cyrus debuts at no. 79 with “Younger Now.”