The Chart Scoop | LCD Soundsystem Live ‘American Dream’ at No. 1
What’s the chart scoop this week? LCD Soundsystem lands its first no. 1 album on the Billboard 200, while Taylor Swift remains no. 1 on the Hot 100.
For James Murphy and LCD Soundsystem, it was a big week. American Dream debuts at no. 1 on the Billboard 200, moving a respectable 85,000 units. Most of those units, more than 95%, were traditional sales. American Dream is the sole new album in the top 10 of the Billboard 200 dated September 23, 2017.
On the Billboard Hot 100, Taylor Swift remains the story. “Look What You Made Me Do” remains at no. 1 for a second week, while “…Ready for It?” launches at no. 4. It’s not all about Ms. Swift though, as Cardi B ascends to no. 2 with “Bodak Yellow” and Logic scores his first top-5 hit with “1-800-273-8255.” Here are some takeaways from both the Billboard 200 and the Billboard Hot 100.
Billboard 200 Grooves
- LCD Soundsystem scores its first no. 1 album with American Dream.
- Lil Uzi Vert (Luv is Rage 2) and XXXTentatacion (17) don’t fall too far in their sophomore week. Luv and 17 slips just one spot to nos. 2 and 3 respectively.
- Imagine Dragons (Evolve), Logic (Everybody), SZA (Ctrl), and Ed Sheeran (÷) reenter the top 10 at nos. 6, 8, 9, and 10 respectively.
- A$AP Mob slips 11 spots (no. 6 to no. 17) with Cozy Tapes, Vol. 2.
- Luke Combs sees gains this week with This One’s for You (moves up from no. 39 to no. 23).
- Queens of the Stone Age (Villains) falls 25 spots in week two (No. 3 to no. 28).
- Fifth Harmony sees its self-titled third album fall from no. 4 to no. 34.
- No Happy Endings for Old Dominion, who nosedive from no. 7 to no. 35.
- Halsey gets a boost with Hopeless Fountain Kingdom (up from no. 54 to no. 42).
- The War on Drugs (A Deeper Understanding) stumbles from no. 10 to no. 48 in week two.
- Daniel Caesar sees Freudian slip from no. 25 to no. 53.
- The Script enters the chart in uninspired fashion. Freedom Child starts tepidly at no. 58.
- Bryson Tiller experiences gains this week as his former no. 1 album True to Self ascends from no. 87 to no. 71.
- Katy Perry gets a much-needed boost as Witness flies up the charts (no. 108 to no. 75).
Billboard Hot 100 Jewels
- Taylor Swift is “doing work” on the Billboard Hot 100. “Look What You Made Me Do” remains at no. 1 for a second week, while “…Ready for it?” debuts at no. 4.
- Cardi B has yet to reach no. 1. How has this happened? Nonetheless, “Bodak Yellow” ascends from no. 3 to no. 2 with gains in performance.
- Taylor Swift and Cardi B aren’t the only artists thriving on the Hot 100. Logic has a gem on his hands with “1-800-273-8255” featuring Alessia Cara & Khalid. After making a big jump last week, “1-800-273-8255” ascends four more spots (no. 9 to no. 5).
- Demi Lovato is on the “up and up” with “Sorry Not Sorry,” which ascends five spots from no. 18 to no. 13.
- Maroon 5, assisted by SZA, gets a lift as “What Lovers Do” rises from no. 73 to no. 27.
- Gucci Mane and Migos are gaining traction with “I Get the Bag,” which jumps from no. 42 to no. 31.
- Tay-K improves 20 spots from no. 64 to no. 44 with “The Race.”
- Dua Lipa continues to rise with “New Rules” (moves up from no. 67 to no. 62).
- Jacquees is working on a ‘breakout hit’ with “B.E.D.,” which ascends from no. 86 to no. 69 in its fifth week.
- Halsey debuts at no. 81 with “Bad at Love.”
- Kip Moore is on the rise with “More Girls Like You” (moves up from no. 98 to no. 82).
- Miguel, assisted by Travis Scott, debuts at no. 97 with “Sky Walker.”