Obsession with Serial Killers? | Beyond the Hype
No, not in an admirable way, but because it’s hard to believe that people could be so cruel, twisted, and insane. Society as a whole is captivated by serial killers, whether its reading about their heinous crimes or going to see the latest horror movie. Often, serial killers inspired many horror movies, even if the character names are changed from the real deal. Tune into Lifetime, and there’s often some kind of murderous TV movie or series.
The reason I wanted to analyze songs written about or referencing serial killers goes beyond the crimes itself. Many of the songs actually come from a number of bands that I consider myself unfamiliar with. I personally like metal music, but despite an extensive knowledge of music, wouldn’t consider myself an expert. So, with metal fueling darker themes, including serial killers and such, it was educational listening to the songs, analyzing the lyrics and the music. But I won’t lie – In most cases, I’m curious to see how poetically musicians will capture such horrific darkness.
I also won’t lie – I have been a fan of criminology for a while. As a composer, many of my pieces have dark themes behind them and tend to be programmatic. As a graduate music theory/composition student, my final project was piece composed for band called The Confessions and Concessions of a Deranged Murderer. That was in 2010. I’ve also written other such, unpublished and unperformed works for orchestra about Jeffrey Dahmer, Jim Jones, and John Wayne Gacy.
But to reiterate, I’m not obsessed, nor a fanboy. The crimes committed by serial killers, mass murderers, and cult leaders are repugnant to the nth degree. The people committing them were completely mentally ill. Why would anyone want to kill somebody or take away life, which is precious?
But if you’re interested, here’s the running list as of publication of serial killer playlists. Will there be more? Could be…Still not obsessed though.
- Jeffrey Dahmer, An Eerie Soundtrack to Jeffrey Dahmer | Playlist
- Various, 18 Chilling Songs About Serial Killers | Playlist
- John Wayne Gacy, A Most Gruesome Soundtrack to John Wayne Gacy | Playlist
- Ted Bundy, 12 Songs Written About or Inspired by Ted Bundy | Playlist
- Armin Meiwes, The Armin Meiwes EP | Playlist
- Ed Gein, A Twisted Soundtrack for Ed Gein: Butcher of Plainfield | Playlist
- Elizabeth Báthory, A Bloody Soundtrack to Countess Elizabeth Báthory | Playlist
- Various, Songs About Serial Killers, Take 2 | Playlist