The Chart Scoop | French Montana Settles for No. 3 on the Billboard 200
Jay-Z (‘4:44’) spends a second week at no. 1 on the Billboard 200 while French Montana (‘Jungle Rules’) settles for no. 3.
Billboard 200 Grooves
For French Montana, he’s been defeated. Okay, okay, it was expected but still, he’s had his butt kicked. The formidable opponent is a familiar one, Jay-Z, who spends a second week at no. 1 on the Billboard 200 with 4:44. The numbers aren’t as robust for Jay this week, but he still moved 87,000 units. More than 70% of that total was album sales. As for poor French, the only top-10 debut Jungle Rules settles for no. 3, moving just 52,000 units. The majority of those units were streaming, as only about 31% of those units were album sales. There are other takeaways from the Billboard 200 dated August 5, 2017.
- Jay-Z refused to move. 4:44 spends a second week at no. 1.
- French Montana (Jungle Rules) settles for a no. 3 debut.
- 21 Savage sees Issa Album slip from no. 2 to no. 5.
- Khalid reenters the top 10. American Teen ascends from no. 13 to no. 9.
- Coldplay debuts at no. 15 with Kaleidoscope EP.
- Linkin Park reenters the Billboard 200 at no. 17 with One More Light. [Hybrid Theory] does the same at no. 27. The various reentries are good for the band, but come at a sad time considering the death of frontman Chester Bennington.
- Zac Brown Band experiences quite the come-up this week. Welcome Home ascends from no. 98 to no. 25 in its 10th week. The album peaked at no. 2.
- Silverstein debuts at no. 46 with Dead Reflection.
- Katy Perry falls right back down the charts after seeing Witness ascend back into the top 20. This week, Witness slides from no. 20 to no. 58.
- Bad second week for HAIM. Something to Tell You drops 63 spots in its second week (no. 7 to no. 70).
- Oh Wonder debuts at no. 76 with Ultralife.
- Punk Goes Pop, Vol. 7 debuts at no. 79.
- WizKid debuts at no. 107 with Sounds from the Other Side.
- Kirstin debuts modestly. L O V E (EP) launches at no. 181. Ouch!
Billboard Hot 100 Jewels
Honestly, there’s not much background to offer on the Billboard Hot dated August 5, 2017. Flavor Flav once said, “You know what time it is.” We all know “what time it is” – time for “Despacito” to spend its 11th week at no. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. There are other takeaways, however.
- “Despacito.” No. 1 spot for the 11th week. That is all.
- French Montana ascends from no. 9 to a new peak of no. 5 with “Unforgettable,” featuring Swae Lee. “A Lie,” featuring The Weeknd and Max B, arrives at no. 75.
- Charlie Puth moves into the top 10 with “Attention,” which ascends from no. 13 to no. 10.
- Kendrick Lamar finds himself outside of the top 10 this week, as “Humble.” Slips from no. 6 to no. 11. DAMN.
- Demi Lovato sees “Sorry Not Sorry” ascend from no. 52 to no. 23.
- Selena Gomez is on the rise with “Fetish” featuring Gucci Mane. “Fetish” ascends from no. 92 to no. 27.
- After debuting at no. 25, Kesha sees “Praying” slide 15 spots to no. 40. Meanwhile “Woman” launches at no. 96.
- Cardi B is on the rise with “Bodak Yellow (Money Moves),” which rises from no. 79 to no. 49 in its third week.
- Jay-Z sees “4:44” dip from no. 35 to no. 61 in its second week. “The Story of O.J.” does even worse, sliding from no. 23 to no. 72.
- Lady Antebellum are “looking good” at no. 67 as “You Look Good” moves up 20 spots.
- Jake Paul is back… oh geez! “Jerika” debuts at no. 86.