Pros & Cons | R. Kelly
Pros & Cons profiles the best and worst qualities of today’s musicians. Pros & Cons is simultaneously objective and subjective.
R. Kelly is a gifted songwriter. He has written multiple hits for himself as well as numerous others. Unfortunately, Kelly is one of the most controversial musicians of recent times. For every pro (“I Believe I Can Fly”), there seems to be a horrid con (sex tape with a minor). After picking the brain and throwing in a dash of research, here are some pros and cons of the ever-polarizing “Kells.”
- R. Kelly wrote and performed the timeless, Grammy-winning classic, “I Believe I Can Fly”
- In addition to “I Believe I Can Fly,” R. Kelly has another ace-in-the-whole with the suggestive gem, “Bump N’ Grind,” a platinum-certified single.
- Kelly composed and produced for the Isley Brothers, hence contributing to the resurgence of the veteran R&B group.
- Kelly has released 13 solo albums, and three collaborative albums.
- Kelly has 10 top-10 singles on the Billboard Hot 100, including two career no. 1 singles (“I’m Your Angel” and “Bump N Grind”)
- Kelly has earned five no. 1 albums (Double Up, 3 Reloaded, Chocolate Factory, tp-2.com & R. Kelly).
- Kelly has had multiple gold (Love Letter, Black Panties), platinum (Double Up, 3 Reloaded, Unfinished Business & Born Into The 90’s), and multiplatinum albums (Happy People / U Saved Me, R., Chocolate Factory, The Best of Both Worlds, TP-2.com, 12 Play, R. Kelly)
- Kelly wrote Whitney Houston comeback single, “I Look to You.” He performed it at Houston’s funeral in 2012.
- Kelly wrote and produced Fantasia’s 2016 exceptional single, “Sleeping With the One I Love” from her fifth studio album, The Definition Of…
- Kelly produced Aaliyah’s debut album, Age Ain’t Nothing But A Number.
- Kelly tells his life story in a 45-minute song. He would!
- He covered the funeral costs for “two young brothers who died in an Illinois fire” on April 13, 2016.