Pros & Cons | Kanye West
Pros & Cons profiles the best and worst qualities of today’s musicians. Pros & Cons is simultaneously objective and subjective.
In the latest edition of Pros & Cons, one of the music industry’s most polarizing musicians is profiled – Kanye West. Kanye West’s pros generally revolve around his musical aptitude – he has been a force in the industry beyond hip-hop. His cons, naturally, revolve around his idiosyncrasies, which are arguably overabundant. Judging Mr. West’s many cons, there is legitimate evidence to support the assertion that he is indeed an asshole.
- Kanye West’s debut album The College Dropout is a hip-hop classic
- West has won a whopping 21 Grammys, more than anybody else in the 21st century (as of 2016)
- Though he has never won “the big one,” West has been nominated for the Grammy for Album of the Year three times (The College Dropout, Late Registration, and Graduation).
- He has won the Grammy for Best Rap album four times (The College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation, and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy). West has only lost the award twice in his career; Watch the Throne lost to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy!
- Kanye West has produced many superb tracks for others, including Alicia Keys’ “You Don’t Know My Name.”
- He is known for his heavy use of sampling; he has eclectic tastes in regards to the music employed in his songs/songs he produces
- West incorporates elements of spirituality in a number of songs including “Jesus Walks” (The College Dropout) and “Ultralight Beam” (The Life of Pablo)
- Hit single “Gold Digger” (Late Registration) spent 10 weeks at no. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2005.
- He enjoys pushing the envelope. Every Kanye West album is different from the one that precedes it, for better or for worse
- He wears his emotions on his sleeve, or rather, in his music
- He channeled the sadness of the unexpected death of his mom, Donda, on 808s & Heartbreak
- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was arguably the best album of 2010.