Examining Lyrics: ZAYN, ‘Mind of Mine’
British pop artist and former One Direction member ZAYN released his debut album, Mind of Mine on March 25. Overall, Mind of Mine is an enjoyable effort. After composing a traditional review here is a lyrical examination of Mind of Mine.
1. “Climb on board / We’ll go slow and high tempo”
Innuendo that honestly doesn’t need any extra explanation. He wants her to “ride” – sometimes slow and sometimes fast. #Sex
2. “So we’ll piss off the neighbors / in the place that feels the tears / the place to lose your fears…in the bed all day…”
Sex, sex, and more sex. ZAYN can come up with a million other ways to say it, but that’s what he’s getting at. He goes on later to say “f*cking and fight on,” which is explicitly about “getting it on.” ZAYN has made it clear that “PILLOWTALK” is about sex.
3. “…She don’t / give a f*ck about what I need / And I can’t tell you why / because my brain can’t equate it”
– “iT’s YoU”
This is so 23…years old that is. ZAYN is crazy over a girl who doesn’t want him – classic unrequited love. That said, ZAYN should really take the fact that she don’t give a f*ck to heart and stop moaning over her.
4. “Time for me to move on / so many hours have gone / heart beats the pump of my blood / no strings for you to pull on / you’ve got your tongue in your cheek / so pardon if I don’t speak / can’t tune my chords / into your songs, no”
Is this a shot at One Direction or, at least, ZAYN’s displeasure with the ‘direction’ the band was continuingly going? Verse two seems to suggests he’s, at least, making reference to his unhappiness and moving on beyond the squeaky clean pop collective. Potential ‘added fuel to the fire?’
“Numb on a roof / set it on fire / just to give me proof / I’m living on a wire.”
5. “She wants somebody to love her, to hold her / she wants somebody to love in the right way”
ZAYN is suggesting that he’s the one for her since he’s speaking for her…
6. “We’ve been drunk all summer / drinking and flowing and rolling / we’re falling down”
ZAYN and bae are probably tipsy. Regardless, the couple is more wasted off each other’s love…and sex. Drinking is associated with summer, and so is love…
7. “Heard about all the things you’ve done / and all the wars that you’ve been in / heard about all the love you lost / it’s was over before it began…”
– “rEaR vIeW”
She’s been through some things.