Billboard 200 Grooves: Kendrick Lamar Takes ‘DAMN.’ to no. 1
The Billboard 200 belongs to Kendrick Lamar this week as the Compton rapper takes his latest album, ‘DAMN.’ to no. 1.
As expected, Kendrick Lamar debuts at no. 1 on the Billboard 200 with DAMN. The numbers are robust – the best numbers Lamar has posted up until this point in his career (603,000 units). John Mayer also had a respectable week on the charts, as The Search for Everything debuted at no. 2. In addition to Lamar and Mayer, there are more intriguing takeaways from the Billboard 200 date May 6, 2017.
- Kendrick Lamar sees his fourth album DAMN. debut robustly at no. 1 on the Billboard 200. Good kid, m.A.A.d city gets a lift from no. 46 to no. 27 in its 234th week. To Pimp A Butterfly ascends from no. 109 to no. 50.
- John Mayer debuts at no. 2 with his long-awaited new album, The Search for Everything.
- Drake sees More Life slip from no. 2 to no. 3 in its fourth week on the Billboard 200.
- Ed Sheeran remains locked into the top five with ÷. ÷ slips from no. 3 to no. 4 in its seventh charting week.
- The Chainsmokers experience a dip as Memories…Do Not Open slides from no. 1 to no. 5 in its second week on the charts.
- The soundtrack for The Fate of the Furious, The Fate of the Furious: The Album, debuts at no. 10.
- Playboi Carti sees his self-titled album debut at no. 12.
- Kodak Black sees Painting Pictures slip out of the top 10 (no. 8 to no. 13).
- Joey Bada$$ exits the top 10. All-Amerikkkan Bada$$ slides from no. 5 to no. 22.
- Pentatonix also exits the top 10 as PTX Vol. IV: Classics (EP) slides from no. 4 to no. 30.
- Shawn Mendes sees Illuminate rise 26 spots from no. 80 to no. 54 in its 30th week.
- MercyMe continues to slide down the chart with Lifer (no. 42 to no. 79).
- Rich Homie Quan debuts at no. 84 with Back to the Basics.
- Posthumous Joey Feek album If Not For You slips from no. 50 to no. 102 in its second week on the Billboard 200.
- Lord Huron sees Strange Trails ascend up the charts from no. 145 to no. 113 thanks to rising single, “The Night We Met.” Interestingly, “The Night We Met” appears in the Netflix original series, 13 Reasons Why.
- “Holy Shit,” Father John Misty sees Pure Comedy free fall from no. 10 to no. 129 in its second week on the Billboard 200.
- The soundtrack for the Netflix original series 13 Reasons Why is on the rise from no. 172 to no. 137. Three weeks ago, the soundtrack debuted at no. 111.
- Mastodon continues to underperform. Emperor of Sand slips from no. 79 to no. 140 in only its third week on the Billboard 200. Emperor of Sand debuted at no. 7!
- Thanks the Grammys televised celebration of the Bee Gees’ music, the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever reenters the Billboard 200 at no. 148.
- The String Cheese Incident takes Believe to a spirited no. 159 debut. Sense the sarcasm with the use of the word spirited?
- AJR starts modestly at no. 164 with EP, What Everyone’s Thinking.
- Little Dragon enters the Billboard 200 at no. 173 with Season High.